today and for the future.
The Literacy Connection
This newsletter makes new research accessible for practitioners, and gives ideas for literacy-rich programming. View previous editions below:
Branching Out is a resource that starts with a children’s book and adds activities to extend the reading experience.
• Branching Out What a Wonderful World
• Branching Out 3 Little Pigs
• Branching Out Lunar New Yr 2014
• Branching Out Best Bug Parade
• Branching Out Chick Chick Boom Boom
• Branching Out Hug
• Branching Out Mouse Paint
• Branching Out The Going to Bed Book
• Branching Out Where’s Spot
• Branching Out Moo Baa La La La
• Branching Out Toronto ABC
Early Literacy Tip Sheets
• Displaying your books to promote reading
• LGBTQ staff resource re: books
• Early Literacy Matters! Handout 2015
• Early Literacy Matters! Handout 2016
• Early Literacy Matters! Diversity 2016
• Early Literacy Matters! Becoming a Pedagogical Leader 2017
Ready to Learn: Love, Language and Literacy
This interactive workshop series demonstrates for parents the vital links between emotional well-being, learning and literacy in the first three years. The resource also contains strategies for working with families to promote learning within everyday program interactions and activities.
Ready to Learn: Love, Language and Literacy Manual
From Lullabies to Literacy: Building Foundations for Learning
This Macaulay curriculum provides a step by step outline of workshops for parents and caregivers of children birth to age 5.
Go to Publications.
Children’s Book Lists
ELS regularly update children’s book lists to help ensure that Toronto’s diversity of children and families is visible in books used in community programs. Explore these lists to find out more:
ELS offer workshops for early learning professionals on a variety of topics. Examples include:
- brain development
- promoting home language
- choosing and using age-appropriate books
- language development and early literacy
- school readiness
For information about these or other workshops contact email@example.com